About Kaap's Chocolate
There is a large difference between commercial and premium chocolate.
Just as wines and coffees have their degrees of excellence, so does
Low Grade Commercial vs. Premium Chocolate
- Cocoa Content (Cocoa Solids)
- Cocoa Butter vs. substitutes
- Natural Flavors vs. Artificial
- Quality / Variety of Cocoa Beans
- Sugar Content: the higher the sugar content, the lower the cocoa
content - this is bad, this is fat.
the sugar content, the higher the cocoa content - this is good,
you want high cocoa content.
The principal ingredients of low grade commercial chocolate
are not cocoa, but sugar, saturated vegetable fat and powdered milk!
These dietary villians are responsible for chocolate's
undeserved reputation as a fattening, tooth decaying indulgence.
True premium chocolate is a far purer, healthier product. Some premium
chocolates contain only a tenth of the sugar of a so called "chocolate
bar." Where some people go wrong is choosing snacks high in
sugar (thus, low in chocolate!). One should look for high quality,
high cocoa chocolate. Remember, the higher
the cocoa content, the lower the sugar content.
Healthy Benefits of Premium Chocolate
High quality chocolate is increasingly being recognized as an excellent
source of minerals that are hard to find elsewhere including such
essential nutrients as iron, calcium and potassium as well as vitamins
A, B1, C, D and E.
Cocoa Beans are also the richest source of magnesium in nature.
Magnesium deficiency is linked with heart disease, hypertension,
diabetes, joint problems and PMS. Adding magnesium increases progesterone
levels - it is the progesterone dip which is responsible
for mood swings.
The Five Senses
- Touch - note the speed of melting - the quicker the better
- this comes from high cocoa butter content (which does not
clog arteries like regular butter/fats). Note: if it doesn't melt
it's usually full of waxes or chemical stabilizers. If it's grainy
- high sugar content.
- Taste - premium chocolate simply tastes better (more like "chocolate")
- Sight - note the higher gloss, sheen and lustre of premium chocolate
as well as the greater depth of color
- Sound - the crystalline structure of cocoa butter gives real
chocolate a distinctive snap
- Smell - the aroma
Your palate will surprise you in what is recognizes - quality -
and what that means to you!
Although chocolate doesn't make the world go around, it
makes the ride worthwhile!